Sylvie’s Gluten-Free Black Forest Cake
This was the cake of choice voted to give to the President, Sylvie Rochette, on her birthday.
Cost Per Serving: 2.08
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 25 - 30 minutes
- 1 recipe Epicure Flourless Chocolate Cake or 3—8” (20 cm) gluten-free round chocolate cakes. (Tip: If using a store-bought mix, bake in 3 pans)
- ¼ C (60 ml) kirsch (cherry brandy) – optional
- 1½ C (375 ml) whipping cream
- 1/3 C (80 ml) icing sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Epicure Vanilla Extract
- 2 C (500 ml) preserved cherries, drained, divided
- ½ C (125 ml) Epicure Dark Belgian Chocolate
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) whipping cream
- 2 tsp (10 ml) clear corn syrup
- Epicure Chocolate Sprinkles, to taste
- Extra cherries – optional
1. Prepare Flourless Chocolate Cake according to recipe. Cool completely, then, using dental floss or a long thin knife, slice the cake horizontally into thirds. If making ahead, tightly wrap each in plastic and refrigerate overnight, or place in freezer bags and freeze up to 1 month.
2. For the filling, finely chop 1 cup (250 ml) of cherries, then pat dry in a kitchen towel to absorb as much liquid as possible. Set remaining whole cherries aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat whipping cream with sugar and Pure Vanilla until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted. Spoon approximately 1 cup (250 ml) of filling into a small bowl. Gently fold chopped cherries into remaining filling.
4. To make the glaze, place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Pour in whipping cream and corn syrup. Microwave on medium at 15 second intervals until completely melted. Whisk to mix evenly.
5. To assemble the cake, brush each layer with kirsch, if using. Place one layer on a serving plate and spread with half the chopped cherry filling, leaving a ½” (1.25 cm) border from the edge. Gently top with another cake layer. Spread remaining chopped cherry filling overtop, then top with remaining cake layer. Tuck half the reserved cherries into the sides of the cake to fill holes in the cream layers.
6. Spread top layer with glaze. Let set, then pipe remaining plain filling into decorative swirls or rosettes on top. Garnish with Chocolate Sprinkles and extra whole cherries, if using.
Per Serving : Calories 400, Fat 26 g (Saturated 14 g, Trans 0.2 g), Cholesterol 135 mg, Sodium 85 mg, Carbohydrate 36 g (Fibre 3 g, Sugars 26 g), Protein 6 g.
Tips: Chef Tip: Ditch the store-bought maraschino cherries in favour of this quick and easy cheat. Buy a jar of preserved sour cherries (available in most grocery stores). Drain half the liquid from the jar, then top with brandy, whisky, or bourbon. Refrigerate at least 3 days before using. Keep refrigerated up to 6 months.
November 26, 2013