Epicure's Apple Berry Crumble
A "berry" good dessert, delicious in any season.
Cost Per Serving: 0.61
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 8 large tart apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Epicure's Apple Pie Spice or Epicure's Spices for Fruit Crumble
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) berries – your choice
- 1 1/4 cups (310 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) oat flakes
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
1. Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C).
2. Toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar, Epicure spice, and berries. Toss to coat and spoon into a deep pie dish or an oven-proof baking dish.
3. Combine flour, oats and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over apples.
4. Bake 40 minutes.
Per Serving : Calories 340, Fat 10 g (Saturated 6 g, Trans 0.3 g), Cholesterol 25 mg, Sodium 75 mg, Carbohydrate 64 g (Fibre 4 g, Sugars 44 g), Protein 3 g.
Tips: Make Ahead: Wrap and freeze before baking. To bake from frozen, cover with foil and bake for approximately 60 to 80 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking an additional 10 - 20 minutes, until apples are soft and topping is golden brown.
August 22, 2011